Private Life Applications & Discretionary Leave

A person may apply for leave to remain on the basis of their private and family life in the UK with their family, partner and/or children under Article 8 within Human Rights.

There are certain other instances in which the Immigration rules allow an individual to apply for further leave in the UK. These instances include:

  • If you have lived in the UK for more than half your life and are aged between 18 and 25

  • If you are under 18 and have lived in the UK for over 7 years

  • If you have lived in the UK for over 20 years or

  • That there would be significant obstacles to you returning to your home country

Usually a person granted leave under this category will be granted a visa for two and a half years which they will have to renew till they have acquired ten years on the same visa. Thereafter, they would be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain on the basis of Long Residence.  

I have successfully obtained discretionary leave for many clients, keeping families together.

Please contact me for further advice on this matter.